Monday, June 3, 2013

ABSURD INTERVIEW: Jeffrey Hale

Jeffrey Hale recently hit the scene with his first novel, MUTE. It's an ingenious twist on the current plethora of apocalypse novels saturating the market. In Hale's twisted future, the undead don't make a peep, and you can't hear them coming. The novel offers up genuine chills and I was finally able to grab a moment with the author to talk about the important things in life.

RT: How did you come up with the premise for MUTE?

JH: Mute is the result of various psychotropic drugs, not excluding Malibu and Twizzlers. It’s disturbingly easy to pen a horror novel when you’re jacked up on melon-flavored rum and sugary snacks.

Actually, I kid.

I’ve always been a fan of post-apocalyptic fiction. I wanted to take the “zombies appear, zombies attack, zombies take over the mother-effing globe” concept, and give it a unique twist. I also wanted to explore the question: “What makes us human? Are we just animals, deep down?”

Hopefully, I succeeded on both fronts.

RT: There are three big gorillas at the zoo near my house...which James Bond movie would they like best and why?

JH: First, I would like to congratulate you. Gorillas are badass. If I could live across the street from a bunch of those hairy bastards, I would in a heartbeat.

Second, I have a confession. I’ve never watched a James Bond movie. Therefore, I would recommend xXx. I believe Vin Diesel and Gorillas have a lot in common. In a good way.

RT: Who are the authors you read for inspiration these days?

JH: I wish I could say “Kafka, Keats, and Longfellow,” but I’m not that deep. My current favorites are Gregory Lamberson, David Wong, John Connolly, and Jeff Jacobson. Those guys know their shit.

RT: What's the weirdest thing you would put on your pizza?

JH: Anchovies. Boring, I know, but I’m a pizza purist. I blame it on my Italian fiancĂ©.

RT: I believe MUTE is your first novel...what was the best part about writing it?

JH: The end (insert laughter). If memory serves me, I wrote it over the course of a year. The first draft took about eight months, and the editing took another four. I kept setting it aside, because it frustrated the hell out of me. By the third revision, it was 20,000 words shorter.

RT: What's your writing process like? Do you listen to music? Sequester yourself in an empty room? Etc?

JH: Stephen King may listen to rock while he writes, but I can’t. I don’t possess the capacity to multitask. I have to be in a small, quiet room to concentrate. Otherwise, I can’t produce a damn thing.

RT: I just made up this word: GLUFFORANT...what does it mean?

JH: Overly-elegant. Like a medieval king crossed with a Vegas showgirl.

RT: What's the best bit of advice you can give to someone starting to write their first novel?

JH: Get your thoughts in order. Build a solid outline. But don’t be afraid to deviate if your characters develop, and move the story in a new direction. Also, don’t give up. If you stick to a schedule, you’ll be finished in no time.

RT: The Rock, Duane Johnson, agrees to be your slave for five whole minutes. What do you have him do and why?

JH: There are so many options. Right now, my apartment is pretty dirty, so I would have him dress in drag, quote Macbeth, and juggle furniture while I vacuum. That’s not weird, is it?

RT: You're rounding out the trilogy that is MUTE. What can we expect from you after?

JH: Other than a 500-page ode to Bruce Campbell? I recently finished a horror-comedy novel called Cyborg Bitches and Machine Pimps, and have a number of promising outlines. Most are firmly rooted in horror, but there’s a sci-fi novel in the queue. If I’m lucky, Cthulhu won’t return before I’m finished!


Pick up a copy of MUTE here: MUTE BY JEFFREY HALE

No comments:

Post a Comment