Thursday, July 4, 2013

ABDURD INTERVIEW: Geoffrey James

Geoffrey James' novel Sorcerer follows the real life character of John Dee, Queen Elizabeth's alchemist. A fascinating look at a human both trusted and hated by history, Sorcerer has received rave reviews and even some interest from Hollywood. I caught up with James to get a little more insight into his world. 



RT: What got you interested in John Dee and how did you conceive of a fictional novel about him? 


GJ: I read a biography of Dee and was so moved at the image of John Dee seeing his library burned that I thought "this would make a great novel."  I wrote the first paragraph of the novel that very day.

 

RT: If you could create one potion that would do whatever you need it to, what would you create?


GJ: Something that eliminated writer's block.


 

RT: When working with real life people as characters in your book, how did you approach their dialogues and thoughts to maintain verisimilitude?


GJ: I listen to the way people talk and then transpose the motivations behind their words into language appropriate for the period.

 

RT: We need to rename all the planets. What do you rename them and why? 


GJ: I'd name them after superheroes, half Marvel, half DC, because they're the contemporary analogy of the ancient world's gods.

 

RT: Your blog is a very informative place to go for both writers and business people in general. What do you like best about doling out helpful advise to people?


GJ: I like it when people write me to say that I helped them out, especially since I basically know almost nothing about business and am just making it all up.

 

RT: Are there other historical characters like John Dee that you'd like to tackle in novel form?


GJ:  Yes, I'm currently outlining a novel based upon Mehmet the Conqueror.



 

RT: Who are some of your bigger author influences?


GJ: Jack Vance, Susanna Clark, Edward Gibbon.

 

RT: If you had to put the head of one animal on the body of another, what would you create and why?


GJ: I'd put an eagle's head on a lion's body because that would create a gryphon.

 

RT: There's been some film interest in Sorcerer. What would you like to see in a film version of your book?


GJ: Residuals.

 

RT: What are you working on now or what can we expect from you soon? 


GJ: I'm finishing up a novel about identity theft, autism, and a serial killer, which takes place in contemporary Los Angeles.


I'd like to thank Geoffrey for his time and by all means go grab his highly entertaining novel, Sorcerer. 


Find out more from Geoffrey James on www.sorcerer.net 

No comments:

Post a Comment